Hey there! I wanted to share a light and summery fruit smoothie recipe with you today.
I was recently asked by the DREAM brand to create a recipe using their new line of Coconut Dream yogurt.
Given that (a) it’s yogurt (duh) and (b) it was dairy-free, I was very excited for the opportunity.
I was instantly brought back to how much I hated having to live a dairy-free lifestyle while I was pregnant with my son, Hunter. Out of nowhere at about 4 months pregnant, my doctor recommended that I remove dairy from my diet to see if I started to feel better.
And it worked.
I was very torn, since I was so happy to no longer be in pain, but was also so sad to have to give up dairy.
That experience really pointed out to me just how much for granted I took my dairy-full world and I started to realize how difficult finding alternatives could be.
Growing up, my mom had to avoid eating milk and cheese because she was lactose-intolerant, but I never really understood her struggles…until I had to go through the same.
This healthy piña colada smoothie is the best of all the worlds – it is light and refreshing, yet it’s still low in calories compared to a regular piña colada. Plus, it’s dairy-free, which is great if you are serving to someone who has to avoid dairy.
Plus, look at how pretty it is! 😉
While I do like to add a little honey to this smoothie to make it a tad bit sweeter (depending on how sweet my pineapple is), you can skip the honey and use coconut sugar instead in order to make a completely vegan piña colada smoothie.
Now, you know how I love my protein shakes. So, yep, I made this into a protein shake, too. Just add in a scoop of vanilla protein powder and you’ve got yourself a tasty and fun piña colada protein shake to switch things up.
Healthy Dairy Free Pina Colada Smoothie
Or, if you wanna kick things up a notch and make this an alcoholic piña colada, you’ll want to see this tasty drink. And, if you love pineapple and coconut together and can’t get enough, I highly recommend this ice pineapple and coconut ice cream.
I hope you enjoy this tasty and refreshing drink. It’s perfect for the summer and is super easy to make.
If you’re looking for instructions on how to peel and cut a pineapple, watch the video in this post, too! 🙂
- 1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 6 oz plain or vanilla Coconut Dream Non-Dairy Yogurt use this Buy One Get One Free coupon
- 1 tbsp honey as needed for sweetening
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Toss the fresh pineapple chunks into a blender, followed by the unsweetened coconut flakes.
- Then, add 6 oz. Coconut Dream non-dairy yogurt to the blender. (For this shake, I like to use either the plain or vanilla flavored coconut dream - plain leaves the smoothie a little more tart while vanilla makes it a little bit sweeter.)
- Next, add in the honey and the ice cubes.
- Blend until smooth.
- Depending on how thick you like your shake, you can add more ice at this time.
- If your pineapple happens to not be sweet enough, you could add in a little more honey, as needed, for additional sweetness.
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts