Recently, Jennie, a food blogger over at In Jennie’s Kitchen, lost her husband after he suffered a heart attack.
If you didn’t know about Jennie before reading this post, neither had I. But I’m pretty sure I’ll never forget her story.
After reading Kate’s post, I visited Jennie’s blog and read about her husband’s recent passing.
To be honest, I couldn’t read her entire post without tears filling my eyes and my stomach turning.
Fighting the urge to cry, I was amazed at Jennie’s strength during this unimaginable pain and loss.
I have since read that blog post a good 10 or 11 times. And have thought about Jennie and her two little girls countless others.
I can’t help but imagine this nightmare as my own. How my heart breaks for her. For her girls.
I try to keep this blog upbeat and positive as I share my enjoyment of life — and food.
But, sometimes, we forget — I forget — that life can get away from us. That love and happiness and all that goodness can get taken for granted.
That everything we think is safe and secure is not. And this scares me to death.
And makes me hold my husband and my little girls a little closer. A little more often.
I decided to make some comfort food I’d been putting off for a while — because it was time.
This BLT with Chipotle Mayo is as good as it is simple. And it’s really simple.
And really comforting.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp chipotle pepper canned, in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 tsp adobo sauce
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 4 thick slices fresh sourdough bread
- 4 slices thick bacon
- 4 slices crisp tomato
- 2 leaves lettuce green leaf, red leaf or Romaine work best
- 2 tbsp Chipotle Mayo see recipe above
- Combine ingredients for the mayo in small mixing bowl and set aside.
- Cook bacon in skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, but not burnt. Once cooked, drain on plate lined with paper towel and set aside.
- Lightly toast sourdough slices in broiler or toaster.
- Spread Chipotle Mayo over both slices of bread. Layer lettuce, then tomato slices (2 per sandwich) and finally bacon slices on top of bread. Place remaining slice of sourdough on top to make sandwich.