Do you remember when paninis were super popular?
It seemed like you couldn’t turn around without someone talking about paninis.
Now, it seems they have been replaced — and then replaced again — by other hot trends. Like macarons or frozen yogurt. Though, I may be totally off — I don’t tend to follow trends.
This can be either a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how you look at it.
Anyways, I figured I’d share this scrumptious panini recipe with you.
I just love the combination of ham with Gruyere cheese. Gruyere adds a slight savoriness without overpowering the ham. Plus, it melts super well so it’s perfect for a panini.
For a special little touch, I add sliced green onions and put it on fresh sourdough bread.
Mmm. Let me tell you.
If you don’t know how to make a panini, it’s super easy and similar to making a grilled cheese sandwich. Did I have you at “grilled cheese”?
To make a panini, you’ll need some sort of a panini press. I use this Panini Pan and Press if you’re interested, and I think it works great.
Incidentally, I paired this Ham and Gruyere Panini with a delicious, slightly sweet Orange Muscat wine from a local vineyard (Driftwood Estate Winery) though it would also be great with a Riesling.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup shredded Gruyere cheese divided
- 3 thin slices Black Forest Ham
- 1 tbsp green onion about 1, thinly sliced
Lightly spread olive oil on panini press and on outer side of both slices of bread. Spread Dijon mustard over inside of one of the slices. Sprinkle 2 tbsp. of the Gruyere over one slice of bread, oil-side down. Top with the slices of ham. Sprinkle about 1 tbsp. green onions over the ham, followed by the remaining 1/4 cup of Gruyere. Top with remaining slice of bread, oil-side up.
- Heat panini pan over medium-high heat (or turn on panini press, if electric) and grill sandwich until cheese is melted and bread is lightly toasted, crispy and golden brown, about 4-6 minutes per side.
- Slice in half and serve.
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts