Do you remember when paninis were super popular?
It seemed like you couldn’t turn around without someone talking about paninis.
Now, it seems they have been replaced — and then replaced again — by other hot trends. Like macarons or frozen yogurt. Though, I may be totally off — I don’t tend to follow trends.
This can be either a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how you look at it.
Anyways, I figured I’d share this scrumptious panini recipe with you.
I just love the combination of ham with Gruyere cheese. Gruyere adds a slight savoriness without overpowering the ham. Plus, it melts super well so it’s perfect for a panini.
For a special little touch, I add sliced green onions and put it on fresh sourdough bread.
Mmm. Let me tell you.
If you don’t know how to make a panini, it’s super easy and similar to making a grilled cheese sandwich. Did I have you at “grilled cheese”?
To make a panini, you’ll need some sort of a panini press. I use this Panini Pan and Press if you’re interested, and I think it works great.
Incidentally, I paired this Ham and Gruyere Panini with a delicious, slightly sweet Orange Muscat wine from a local vineyard (Driftwood Estate Winery) though it would also be great with a Riesling.
- 2-3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ cup shredded Gruyere cheese, divided
- 3 thin slices Black Forest Ham
- 1 tbsp. (about 1) green onion, thinly sliced
- Lightly spread olive oil on panini press and on outer side of both slices of bread. Spread Dijon mustard over inside of one of the slices. Sprinkle ¼ cup of the Gruyere over one slice of bread, oil-side down. Top with the slices of ham. Sprinkle about 1 tbsp. green onions over the ham, followed by the remaining ¼ cup of Gruyere. Top with remaining slice of bread, oil-side up.
- Heat panini pan over medium-high heat (or turn on panini press, if electric) and grill sandwich until cheese is melted and bread is lightly toasted, crispy and golden brown, about 4-6 minutes per side.
- Slice in half and serve.
Take control of your food
Get my FREE guide on How To Start Eating Clean!