We love zucchini and squash in our house, especially during the summer when it’s so abundant in the grocery stores and in our garden.
Now, there’s always the great, go-to sautéed zucchini recipe that we can use…
But, there’s only so many times you can make that, as good as it is. Then, there’s zucchini noodles with meat sauce and that’s a great option. Or, for something sweeter, we absolutely can’t get enough of this zucchini bread. <—– BTW you should totally check that out later.
I told you – we love zucchini.
Which is why we really like this recipe. Not only does it combine two delicious types of squash – zucchini and yellow squash – but, it is an entirely different way to enjoy zucchini. Plus, it’s totally easy to make!
What I enjoy so much about these parmesan baked squash and zucchini is the crisp bite, followed by the tender squash, and then the flavorful, savory parmesan and seasonings. It’s so addicting, it might not even make it all the way to the dinner table. True story.
Whereas I normally bake vegetables in the oven using just a baking sheet, I recommend using an oven-safe cooling rack on top of the baking sheet for this recipe because it really keeps the squash and zucchini spears nice and evenly cooked and not soggy at all.
Because we all know what happens if you overcook squash and we don’t need that kind of sogginess here. Nope.
What we do need is all this deliciousness right here. I mean – look at how fresh and light it even looks. So yummy!
Oh and, if you’re interested in using these parmesan baked squash and zucchini in a meal, rather than just stuffing your face with them all on their own…like — err — some people, then I recommend serving them with a simple meat. For example, some simple pan-roasted steak, roasted chicken, or fried pork chops would go fabulously with these zucchini and squash spears so the flavors don’t all start competing with each-other.
While I really like the combo of the zucchini and squash, both for flavor and color, you could easily make this tasty veggie side with one or the other.
That’s the beauty of this recipe and style of cooking – it’s so tasty to toss some garlic, parmesan, and simple herbs on some fresh vegetables and then roast them with a little olive oil. No matter what you do, you’re pretty much gonna hit solid gold when it comes out of the oven.
If you’re looking for more produce that’s available during the summer, check out this post so you can be sure to pick the freshest vegetables possible to get your parmesan bake on.
Parmesan Baked Squash And Zucchini Spears
- 2 zucchinis quartered lengthwise
- 2 yellow squash quartered lengthwise
- ⅓ cup parmesan grated
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the parmesan, thyme, oregano, garlic powder, kosher salt, and pepper.
- Place the sliced zucchini and squash in a medium mixing bowl and drizzle the remaining ½ tbsp. olive oil over. Toss to coat evenly.
- Add the parmesan-spice mixture and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle any remaining parmesan-spice mixture from the bowl over the squash and zucchini.
- Place into the oven and bake until tender, about 15-18 minutes.
This post was last updated on 2/26/2016 to include a new recipe video.
This post contains affiliate links for products I use regularly and highly recommend.
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts