One of my favorite healthy substitutions is greek yogurt. I use plain greek yogurt as a healthy alternative in so many of my recipes, like in sauces and toppings.
So, let’s talk about why greek yogurt is awesome, shall we?
- Greek yogurt contains 18 grams of protein in just 6 ounces (woohoo for protein!)
- High in potassium (helps to balance out our high sodium diets)
- High in iodine (helps to increase metabolism)
- High in calcium (just 1 serving contains 18% of your daily requirements for calcium)
- Contains probiotics (help with digestive system)
Yes, those health benefits are awesome. But what’s even better is that you can’t even taste the difference in your recipes. That means your tastebuds will be none the wiser but your body will be reaping all the health benefits greek yogurt has to offer.
Plain greek yogurt can be used instead of so many high-fat, high calorie foods, such as:
- Sour cream (think nachos or a baked potato)
- Heavy cream (think cream of broccoli soup)
- Mayonnaise (can be used in sauces, like in this honey mustard sauce)
- Regular yogurt (which is highly sweetened and low in protein, in comparison)
- Buttermilk (think healthy ranch dressing)
Greek Yogurt As A Healthy Alternative
Here are some examples of recipes where I used plain greek yogurt as a healthy alternative:
- Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding
- Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
- Orange Protein Smoothie
- Steak Cobb With Creamy Avocado Cilantro Dressing
- Easy Cream Of Broccoli Soup
- Fresh Peach Cobbler Overnight Oats
- Chicken Tacos
- Butternut Squash Waffles
See? Told ya I love my greek yogurt (and you should, too!).
To get more tips and tricks on how to start eating clean and loving your healthy lifestyle and food, click here to download my free Beginner’s Guide To Clean Eating!
I've got your dinners covered this week
- Get my FREE 5-Day Meal Plan plus...
- Organized grocery list to save time and money
- Helpful cooking tips and tricks
- Free videos on forming better cooking skills
- Kitchen conversion and substitution charts